IMPORTANT ====> To participate in VTHacks IX, you must register here
Join us for Virginia Tech's 9th annual hackathon! Live updates and information about the event can be found on our live site or in our Discord
- Submit to Devpost early - you can edit everything in your submission (write up, video, code, website, prizes, etc) all the way up to the deadline which is 8:00 AM EST. Late submissions will not be accepted, so we encourage you to submit early, and update your submission with final changes closer to the deadline.
- Every submission must have a video demo attached to it. There's a required field on the submission page where you can link to a video. You can upload any video as a placeholder until you actually have time record a demo. You can record a video using free software like Open Broadcast Studio, the Google Chrome plugin: Loom, or even Zoom!
- Don't know what to put in your demo video/project write up? Checkout this example post which has information about how to make a great demo! https://devpost.com/software/example-template-submission.
- definitely mention if this is your (or any of your teammates) first hackathon!!
- include links to your project code if it's on repl.it, Netlify, GitHub, or anywhere else.
- Also be sure to include the domain of any website you registered through Domain.com, even if you didn't end up using it.
- The judging phase starts at 10:00 AM EST and ends at 1:00 PM EST. The Judging process will be totally asynchronous meaning that judges are only going to view your Devpost write-up, and submission video (which should be ≤ 3 minutes long), so make sure your submission page looks neat!! After you submit be sure to vote on other team's projects as well!
- If you have questions about how to submit to Devpost, drop a question in the Discord #submission-faq channel (and also read the questions that have already been asked, odds are that your question has been)
- Remember that you are only allowed to submit projects made during VTHacks IX (and not at other events, multiple submission is grounds for disqualification).
- Submission FAQ:
Accept submission to multiple events? No Able to work on an old project? No Accept boilerplate projects? No Video upload date must be weekend-of? Yes What’s the maximum video length? 2-3 Minutes Does every member on Devpost need to be registered for the hackathon? Yes Are hackers allowed to work on multiple teams (across 1 event or multiple)/submitting multiple projects? No Public repositories for our code required (GitHub, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)? Yes What type of project is accepted? Code required or is a concept (Figma, Powerpoint) acceptable? Code required
$10,950 in prizes
(1st overall) The Everest Award
iPad for each member of the team!
Nintendo Switch Lites for each member of the team!
Gen 2 Airpods for each member of the Team!
Wacom Graphic Drawing Tablet for each member of the team!
People's Choice Award
Most loved project on Devpost! Prize: Big joe beanbag chair for each member of the team!
Most Unique Hack
Echo Show 8 for each member of the team!
Glass Hack (Most Polished Hack)
Arduino starter kit for each member of the team!
Best Demo Video
Playstation classic console for each member of the team!
Best Beginner Hack
Only eligible if at least 50% of your team is a first time hacker. The prize is a Sphero Mini for each member of the team!
ManTech- Designed for Security and Privacy
Oculus Headset for each member of the team!
Capital One- Best Financial Hack
$250 Amazon Gift card for each member of the team!
Peraton- Best AI/Machine Learning Hack
$400 Amazon Gift card to be split amongst the team!
Most Creative Use of GitHub
Must sign up for GitHub Global Campus. The prize is an OctoCat swag bundle
Most Creative Use of Twilio
Build a hack with any Twilio API. The prize is a Twilio Swag Box & GameGo Console.
Best Domain Name Using Domain.com
Register a .Tech domain name using Domain.com. The more creative the domain the better! The prize is a PowerSquare Qi Wireless Phone Charger.
Best Use of Google Cloud
Build your hackathon project with a suite of secure storage, powerful compute, and integrated data analytics products provided by Google Cloud. See full list of products here: g.co/cloud. Winners located in the US will receive a Google Cloud Swag Bag complete with a beanie, pillow, journal, socks & lanyards. Winners outside of the US will receive a Google branded backpack.
Best Use of DeSo
Launch an app that writes to the DeSo blockchain and implements DeSo identity.For inspiration on project ideas, you can check out some of the existing 200+ apps already live on DeSo at Bithunt.com as well as our DeSo APIs.
The prize is $100 worth of $DESO coin & an exclusive DeSo branded tumbler!
Best Use of Auth0
Use any of the Auth0 APIs for a chance to win some exclusive swag, including a Miir 12oz tumbler, Rubiks Cube, and sticker!
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How challenging or impressive your project is from a software or hardware development perspective.
How complete the execution of your project is, regardless of its scope or ambition.
How novel, creative, or outside the box is your idea.
How likely is it that your project could warrant further development as a complete application which others would use.